Waterproof IP65-rated Brix / specific gravity (d 20⁄20) refractometer with easy-to-read LCD
PCE-DRW 1 is a handheld digital refractometer used to determine the sugar content / specific gravity of beer and similar liquids in the 0 ... 50 % Brix / 1.000 ... 1.130 d 20⁄20 measuring range. This waterproof IP65-rated digital refractometer features automatic temperature compensation (ATC) from +10 ... +40 °C / +50 ... +104 °F, as well as a large, easy-to-read LCD that shows both the measured value and the temperature.
Refractometers find their application not only in the laboratory for research and development purposes. The range of particular practical tasks that are fulfilled with the help of the digital refractometer is very wide and beer brewing and taste control are among them. This small device may be used from the very beginning of the process to the end, when the final product is ready to be served. Beer production is a complicated process that consists of a few stages and in which different ingredients are used (that is why so many kinds of beer exist). To get the required taste and colour of the beverage the correct amount of ingredients (ground wheat, malt, barley, water, sugar) taken in a strict proportion should undergo a long fermentation process. The beer refractometer allows getting the values of the starting gravity, as well as the gravity of the beer in the process of fermentation and the actual value at the end. The results obtained can be used for calculating all the important values, such as alcohol content and sugar content. Since the wort contains more than just sugar and water and the range of beers from very light to black comprises a few absolutely different kinds, the measurement of refractometer are not the same for all, and the calculation of the wort correction factor is required must be carried out. The application of beer refractometer enables the producer to bring some changes during the production process, for example, prolonging the boiling time, variation of water/sugar proportion. The beer refractometer accompanies the brewer along the whole way allowing the achievement of the best quality result possible.
- Measurement parameters: Brix, specific gravity (d 20⁄20), temperature
- Automatic temperature compensation (ATC) from +10 ... +40 °C / +50 ... +104 °F
- Handheld and portable
- User-friendly 3-button operation
- Fast and precise measuring results in approx. 1 sec.
- ABS plastic housing with IP65 ingress protection rating against water and dust
- Large, easy-to-read digital LCD shows both the measured value and the temperature
- Average function measures same sample 15 times and displays the mean value
- Stainless-steel ring on sample well protects glass prism from damage
- Internal light source for improved accuracy
- Small liquid sample size of just 4 to 5 drops
- Easy calibration with distilled water
- Battery-saving automatic power off after 1 min. of inactivity