Waterproof IP65-rated salinity or salt content (%, ‰) / specific gravity (SG) / refractive index (nD) refractometer with easy-to-read LCD
PCE-DRS 1 is a handheld digital sodium chloride (NaCl) refractometer used to determine the salinity or salt content (%, ‰), specific gravity (SG) and refractive index (nD) of liquid. This waterproof IP65-rated digital refractometer features automatic temperature compensation (ATC) from +10 ... +40 °C / +50 ... +104 °F, as well as a large, easy-to-read LCD that shows both the measured value and the temperature.
The great wonder of science that through one phenomenon it becomes possible to study and determine the other. The bending of light which formed the basis in the creation of a famous nowadays device refractometer, made it possible to study, check and analyze the content of many different products and materials. Salinity of liquids is one of them. By means of the salinity refractometer it is possible in no time at all, to clearly understand how much salt this or another liquid contains. Portable small devices may be applied anywhere where the check of the salt content is required. For example, all those who allow having such a joy at home as the fish tank may be sure that with the help of the salinity refractometer, the salt content in the water will always be on the correct level. Excessive amounts of salt may be terminally dangerous to certain fish types, and the device is a perfect way to prevent such problems. Besides measurement in the seawater and aquariums or swimming pools, an important sphere is food manufacturing. If to leave the personal taste preferences in the background, there are strict rules as for the salt content norms in different products (soups, brines, marinated vegetables, pickles, sauces, cheeses, bacon, etc.). Excessive as well as insufficient amounts of salt added during the production process lead to big risks, like short shelf-life of the product (if the amount of salt is too low) or bad taste qualities.
Salinity level is a high-priority problem for the scientists and environmentalists all over the world. Changing levels of salinity in the seas, lakes and soil become a serious concern, because it may influence growth and development of flora and fauna. Modern digital devices allow determination of the salt content fast and accurately, and thus, carrying out effective monitoring regularly.
- Measurement parameters: Salt content, refractive index, specific gravity, temperature
- Automatic temperature compensation (ATC) from +10 ... +40 °C / +50 ... +104 °F
- Handheld and portable
- User-friendly 3-button operation
- Fast and precise measuring results in approx. 1 sec.
- ABS plastic housing with IP65 ingress protection rating against water and dust
- Large, easy-to-read digital LCD shows both the measured value and the temperature
- Average function measures same sample 15 times and displays the mean value
- Stainless-steel ring on sample well protects glass prism from damage
- Internal light source for improved accuracy
- Small liquid sample size of just 4 to 5 drops
- Easy calibration with distilled water
- Battery-saving automatic power off after 1 min. of inactivity